Samba/Winbind connection issues
I recently had to reconfigure my linux (Ubuntu 10.04 LTS) servers.
I had previously used these two howto’s to configure my servers.
Suddenly one of them refused to properly connect with various error messages:
# wbinfo -p
Ping to winbindd failed
# wbinfo -u
Error looking up domain users
# wbinfo -t
checking the trust secret via RPC calls failed
Could not check secret
After a week of googling I finally found the following solution, which did the trick for me.
- Stop smbd, nmbd and winbindd (make sure they are really dead using ps. winbindd still lingered after I stopped the service)
- Delete the linux computer from the Primary Domain Controller (using the Management Console)
- Delete the secrets database (/var/lib/samba/secrets.tdb)
- Join the domain again
- Start the daemons (smbd, nmbd and winbindd)
- Test the winbind commands to see that everything is working